The Indian Premier League T20 match played between Bangalore Royal Challengers (RCB) and Pune Warriors India (PWI) at Chinnaswamy stadium, Bangalore. Pune won the toss and elected to bowl first. Chris Gayle was in a disastrous mood came to bat with his partner T. Dilshan. He scored his first fifty runs in 17 balls and later fifty runs in only 13 balls. He completed his century by a huge six. He took 36 runs for next 75 runs.
They had scored 62 runs in powerplay without any loss of wicket. In just 8 overs RCB’s 100 runs were on board. The first dismissal was T. Dilshan, who got out when team total was 167. RCB scored 263 runs in 20 overs which is the highest T20 total ever by any team. Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Luke Wright bowled the perfect 4 overs each. They gave just 23 and 26 runs in their 8 overs. Rest 212 runs were scored in 12 overs at 17.83 run rate. Pune has no option but to attack RCB bowlers. Pune scored 133 runs in 20 overs and lose this match by 130 runs.
The previous record of fastest century in IPL was by Yusuf Pathan in 37 balls against Mumbai Indians. Chris Gayle made that possible in merely 30 balls. He also broke the fastest century record in T20 format of Andrew Symonds, which was in 34 balls.
Chris Gayle’s single knock broke many records. They are given below:
- Fastest fifty in Indian Premier League (17 balls), record held jointly with Adam Gilchrist against Delhi Daredevils.
- Fastest hundred in Indian Premier League (30 balls), previous record was by Yusuf Pathan (37 balls) against Mumbai Indians.
- Fastest hundred in any T20 league and any format of cricket, previous record was by Andrew Symonds (34 balls) against Middlesex.
- Highest individual score in Indian Premier League (175*), previous record was by Brandon McCullum against Royal Challengers Bangalore in first IPL match 2008.
- Most sixes in Indian Premier League (17) broke Brandon McCullum’s record of 13 sixes.
- Most sixes in any T20 league broke Grahan Napier’s record of 16 sixes against Sussex.
- Highest team total by any IPL team (263/5) broke Chennai Super King’s (246/5) record against Royal Challengers Bangalore.
- Highest team total by any team in any league, previous record by Sri Lanka (260/6) against Kenya.
Hats off to Chris Gayle’s fantastic knock. He is a complete entertainer and the only player who can play like this.